Sunday, January 10, 2016

Jan.6th

HEY!
Well How was that new year! Looks like the weather has been insane!! Things are still hot here! The only thing to ring in the new year was an earthquake that we had! We were in a lesson, my comp and I were on the couch and all of a sudden the couch was shaking back and forth! It was only for 8 seconds and it wasn't anything too serious, but #myfirstearthquake holla! Anyway my comp and I rang in the new year like never before! We went to the store and got matching grandma moo moo's because 1 they are just so dang comfy, 2 all the homie grandma's here do it, and 3 You only live the mission life once....as a single sista haha. Then played phase 10 (which is pretty boring with two people, but hey we did what we could), and monopoly until midnight. We have too much fun!
Okay well this week has been significantly better! I totally understand the Christmas song, "It's beginig to look a lot like Christmas" now. Because as it says, "And mom and dad can hardly wait for school to start again", is how I'm starting to feel. NO ONE HAS BEEN HOME! However, this week things have been dying down and tomorrow school and work will be starting again, and people will now be home to visit! Yoohoo! So we have people to see again! 
But, this talk came into my mind this past week as we have been finding new people to teach. Elder Worthlin states,
When was young loved playing sports, and havemany fond memories of those days. But not all of themare pleasant. remember one day after my footballteam lost tough game, came home feelingdiscouraged. My mother was there. She listened to mysad story. She taught her children to trust inthemselves and each other, not blame others for their misfortunes, and give their best effort in everythingthey attempted.When we fell down, she expected us to pick ourselvesup and get going again. So the advice my mother gave to me then wasn’t altogether unexpected. It has stayed with me all my life.
“Joseph,” she said, “come what may, and love it.”
And it's so true! We have been starting our search to find new people to teach. Contacting isn't really a missionaries favorite thing to do. Door to door, people saying their Catholic, are too busy, or are just hiding behind their doors, it can get really discouraging, really fast. BUT, understanding who we are as missionaries, who we represent, and changing our attitude we've made the best of the situation. And humor helps out an awful lot. Sometimes you just have to laugh. 
So on to our funny story of the week. As my companion and I were contacting, we were trying to find an address (which is next to impossible to do here). My companion being fearless decided to ask the first person she saw....which happened to be a group of Jehova's Wittnesses walking down the same street. Before I could stop her, she began to flag them down and then ask them for the directions. Well they aren't from here either and then told her they didn't know. UGH sooo embarrassing! She had no idea who they were until I told her. And by that time we were just dying! On a different day, we were walking to an appointment when this guy rolls down his window and whispers, "Listen" and then turns on a little R&B and sings, "I'll take care of you" and then speeds off. haha too funny. 
But, hey have a great week! Stay safe! Don't get into any accidents like little Camden and have to get staples! AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD AND MOM!
love,
Hermana Van Woerkom













No comments:

Post a Comment